Wednesday, April 22, 2009

AdvancED Flex 3 Book


Does anyone own this book? It covers some good material but the code samples in it are terrible! I've never seen so many typos and so much code that does not even compile.

Here's my favorite code example from the book, see if you can count how many different compile errors and warnings you get from this snippet (page 172 of the book, copyright 2008, ...):
private var myVariable:String;
public get myVariable():void {
    return myVariable;
}
[Bindable]
public set myVariable(value:String) {
    myVariable = value;
}
It seems like after almost every page I read in it I have to type the code into Flex Builder to verify that in fact no, you can't do it that way because it doesn't even compile.

Anyways, hopefully not too many people buy this book... Or maybe by the next edition they will have fixed up the many errors.

Another Flex/ActionScript book that I bought and think quite highly of is this one:


3 comments:

HelloGary said...

I decided to learn Flex by purchasing Flex 2 with ActionScript 3.0 from friendsofED. After a week or so of study, I purchased Training from the Source by Adobe and discovered that just about everthing I learned in the friendsofED was wrong or a complete waste of time. Never purchased a friendsofED book again.

Chris Callendar said...

Interesting, so I'm not the only one with a bad experience! Thanks for commenting. Hopefully we can prevent a few people from buying friendsofED books...

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious - Flex getters and setters 101 (well, AS syntax 101...), but they can't even get that right. Not even close in fact. lol!